Getting Started: New Employee Checklist
Welcome to The University of Texas at Austin! Here's an easy step by step checklist to assist you with completing all the required on-boarding items within your first month on the job which will ensure you are paid and receive employee benefits in a timely manner.
The Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9), UT ID Card, and EID upgrade can be completed at the New Employee Welcome and Orientation. Employees are welcome to use the Human Resources computer lab on the 2nd floor of NOA to complete other items on the checklist.
Graduate Student Academic Employees should use the New Student Employee Checklist
Note: All links on this page will open a new browser window. After you are finished with each step, simply close the new window to return to this page.
New Employee Welcome and Orientation — If you're benefits eligible, we strongly recommend that you attend New Employee Welcome and Orientation on your first day of employment in order to complete many items on this checklist. You may register yourself for this course, which is available in UTLearn (EID required).
- To register:Use the search feature in the upper right corner, type in "New employee" and select "PN 1000 - New Employee Welcome and Orientation"
- Select the session you'd like to attend and click "Request"
ID Card and EID — You can get your ID card at orientation or at the ID Center, located on the first floor of the FAC. Bring proof of identity (government issued ID with your picture), to get your ID card and upgrade your UT Electronic Identification (EID). This step is very important. You'll need to upgrade your EID before you can access most online services for employees.
- Payroll Information — Complete My Paycheck Profile online. You will need an upgraded EID and information from your UT ID card to complete this online form.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) — You must complete this electronic form no later than your first work day. You will be required to present original documents from the List of Acceptable Documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Information from your documents will be submitted to the federal E-Verify system for verification. Please contact your hiring department if you have not been told where to bring your documents. If you receive an email with the subject line, Electronic I-9 Shuttle Request, please follow the instructions to complete the employee section of the form.
- Criminal Background Check Request – You should have received an email requesting electronic authorization to conduct a background check. If you have not received the email or completed the background check request, please contact your hiring department.
- Acknowledge the Ethics Statement* — Read and acknowledge the Standards of Conduct and Political Activities online (EID required).
- UT System Worker’s Compensation Insurance Health Care Network Notification – Read and acknowledge the Worker’s Compensation Network Acknowledgement Form online (EID required).
- Health Insurance Marketplace Notice – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to provide this notice to all employees about the option to shop in the Marketplace (also known as the “exchange”). More information about ACA and UT Select is available on the OEB website.
- Selective Service Eligibility — If you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25, complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification online. For more information, see the Selective Service Registration Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Conflicts of Interest Policy — Read both the policy and the statute of law concerning conflicts of interest within three business days. For additional information please visit the Provost Office's Conflict of Interest webpage.
- Outside Employment — If you are working for another employer, you must complete an outside employment form and gain proper approval. If you are an exempt employee, prior approvals need to be completed through the portal: Outside Activity Portal 5-2011 If you are unsure about your status under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) check one of your individual time reports on the electronic timesheet system and look at your FLSA status.
- Employee Information* — Complete your employee biographical information and your veteran status information online.
- Insurance Coverage — Review the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist for details about how to complete your enrollment. You must make your insurance elections online during your Initial Benefits Enrollment period, which is the first 31 calendar days of employment. If you do not make elections and you are a full-time employee, you will default to the Basic Coverage only. If you are a part-time employee, you will forfeit insurance coverage altogether if elections are not made.
- Compliance Training — Begin your compliance training. This training must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. For alternate methods of taking the training, call the compliance training coordinator at 512-232-7842.
- Read and acknowledge the Compliance and Ethics Guide [PDF]. After reviewing all sections of the Guide, advance to the Acknowledgment Page where you will record your agreement to act in accordance with UT Austin’s requirements for ethical conduct.
- Acceptable Use Policy — Acknowledge the Information Resources Acceptable Use and Security Policy Agreement.
- Supervisor Meeting — Talk with your supervisor about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period, and performance evaluation.
- Keys — Pick up your key(s) at the Locks and Keys office located in the Service Building. Remember to take the key request form given to you by your department and your ID card.
- Parking Permit — Visit the Parking and Transportation website for information about parking on campus. If you don't plan to commute by car, check out alternative transportation options.
- Prior State Service — If you have worked for any other State of Texas agency or public university, print a Transfer of State Service [PDF] form and and fax it to Human Resources. Read more about prior state service transfer.
- Timesheets — Complete your timesheets online in the Time Report System. Talk to your supervisor, if you are unable to access your timesheet.
- Nonresident Aliens — Please be sure you have completed your GLACIER record. You should receive your login instructions via the UT Secure Message System within two weeks of beginning employment. Send the forms generated from GLACIER and required immigration documents to Payroll Services.
- Insurance Coverage — Make sure you’ve reviewed the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist and made your elections online within the first 31 calendar days of your employment.
- Compliance Training — Make sure you've completed your compliance training.