When managers come to you with questions about difficult situations, you may be able to help them on your own or you may want to refer them to Strategic Workforce Solutions (SWS) for help with the more-complex issues. SWS offers the following services to assist employees in understanding policies, managing performance, and dealing with workplace concerns.
Consultation and Coaching
SWS functions on an informal basis and is here to assist all employees with the following services:
- Answering questions or providing clarification on policies and procedures
- Reviewing drafts and giving feedback on documents, such as rebuttals
- Meeting privately with employees to discuss workplace concerns
- Listening, and identifying and re-framing issues
- Developing a range of responsible options
- Clarifying available university resources
- Encouraging best practices
- Offering informal third-party interventions
- Helping develop new ways to solve problems
SWS offers consultation and coaching services to managers on the following topics:
- Leadership skills
- Performance management
- Strategies to recognize, reward, and value achievement, effort, and performance
- Strategies to build solid team relationships through collaboration and respect
- Strategies to cultivate a team environment that challenges, motivates, and rewards employees
- Strategies for change management, and
- Strategies to conquer negative thinking, reduce conflict, and foster a cooperative spirit
How to Request Consultation and Coaching Services
Consultations and coaching sessions are generally scheduled for an hour, in which employees either talk on the phone or meet privately with an SWS representative. Depending on the nature of their concerns, employees may meet with SWS just once or schedule a series of meetings. To schedule a consultation, have employees contact their SWS representative or call the SWS main number at 512-475-7200.
Discussion Groups and Training
SWS provides relevant and interesting roundtable discussions and training sessions that increase employees' understanding of policies and enhance the quality of the university's work environment. You can check online to see if there are any upcoming UTLearn or EAP training sessions that may be relevant to managers' or other employees’ concerns. In addition, you may contact SWS at 512-475-7200 if you are interested in arranging a customized training program for your department.
Discussion Groups for Managers
You may wish to schedule ongoing discussion groups for managers and supervisors in your department. This will give managers an opportunity to discuss topics of interest or problem-solve questions and concerns. Group meetings may also include guest speakers from HR to address specific questions, depending on participants' interests. If you're interested in scheduling a discussion group for your department, contact your SWS representative or call the SWS main office at 512-475-7200.
Training Series for Managers
In addition to the option of hosting departmental discussion groups, you may want to take advantage of the multi-session managers' series, Managerial Best Practices, PN 8,that HR offers two times each year. This series is designed to help managers and supervisors set and meet professional goals, identify supervisory challenges and create strategies to address them, learn about other university resources for managers, and receive support and guidance froms in similar roles. These meetings include discussion, article reading, role-play, and mini-presentations. Peer learning is a key feature of this series so particpants are asked to make a commitment to attend all of the meetings within the series.
This series is co-facilitated by EAP, SWS, Organization Effectiveness, and the Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution Officer. Check UTLearn for upcoming supervisors' and managers' coaching groups.