UTemps: Temporary Placement Services for Retired Employees
Be a UTemp
Looking to pick up a little extra income after retirement? Working through UTemps is a great way to earn extra income while using the knowledge and skills you developed while working for the university.
Types of Positions Offered
Though most of the temporary positions available with the university are administrative/clerical types, UTemps employees are needed in many areas:
- Web development
- Database development/report writing
- Network administration/software development and maintenance
- Desktop Support Specialists
- Project Managers
- Event Coordinators
- Graphic Designers
- Accounting, advising and other professions
- Substitute Teachers
- Lab assistance
- Labor and skilled crafts
- Building attendants, food handlers, and others
How to Be Considered for the UTemps Pool
To begin the process follow the instructions listed here:
- Complete the “Online Employment Application”. A UT EID is required. If you do not have a UT EID, you will need to click on “Get a UT EID” first, then complete the online application.
- Apply to the specific UTemps posting: On the left navigation menu or the application you will find the “Apply Now” section. You will enter the 12-digit posting number of the position you want to apply to. This will lead you to the “Do I Qualify” page. Here you will select which of your documents that you want to use to apply to this position.
- You may be asked to take the following clerical tests: Typing, Spelling, Word, and Excel as requested by a UTemps Coordinator.
- If no temporary posting through UTemps is open, send email to the UTemps office with the following information:
- Provide your full name, EID and the name of the résumé you would like for our office to review, if you have more than one uploaded onto the system.
- The UTemps office will review your résumé and will contact you to inform you whether or not you were selected to join the UTemps pool.
Working for UTemps
See the map and directions to the UTemps office.
The length of each UTemp assignment varies. The "projected ending date" is flexible and many temporary assignments are extended. However, each job placement is a separate action and you aren't guaranteed another position. When your assignment is completed you'll have to compete for the next available position.
If a department is recruiting for a vacancy and you meet the requirements for that job, then you may be eligible to compete for the job vacancy with all of those who apply. Your demonstrated skills and work record as a UTemp can be considered by hiring managers.
You'll begin as soon as your department needs you, which could be the next day.
The current minimum hourly pay rate is $11.01 an hour. Salary will vary depending on the level of the job and the skills required.
With each assignment, you'll be offered a chance to purchase a temporary "A" parking permit from Parking and Transportation Services. This will allow you to park in any "A" permit spot on campus. The permit is good for one month from the date of purchase.
Since you're being evaluated, you should dress professionally. This could include business attire as established by your hiring department or casual attire, such as slacks, shirts with collars and comfortable shoes.
Returning to UTemps
If you've previously worked with UTemps and would like to be placed back in the applicant pool, please send an email of interest to email@example.com. We will review and get back to your shortly.