UT FLEX Plan Changes
The IRS recently released new guidance around COVID-19 (Notice 2020-29) for Section 125 Cafeteria Plans, including the UT Benefits program. In accordance with this guidance, UT FLEX participants will have some additional flexibility with using their UT FLEX Health Care Reimbursement (HCRA) and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts (DCRA).
As of June 1, 2020, the UT FLEX plan has been modified as follows:
- The deadline to use both HCRA and DCRA funds has been extended to December 31, 2020.
- Funds contributed during the 2019-2020 plan year may be used for eligible expenses through December 31, 2020.
- Claims against funds contributed during the 2019-2020 plan year must be submitted no later than January 15, 2021.
- Unclaimed funds from the 2019-2020 plan year will be forfeit after the deadline.
- Plan participants should take special care to consider this extension when making their 2020-2021 UT FLEX elections.
- A special mid-year enrollment period allows employees to change their UT Flex elections
- Employees may choose to start contributing, stop contributing, increase their contributions, and decrease their contributions to both the HCRA and DCRA, on a prospective basis*
- All changes will be effective on June 1, 2020.
- Prior contributions to the plan will not be refunded, but may be used for eligible expenses through December 31, 2020, as detailed above.
- Decreases and drops are limited to amounts not less than the amounts already contributed or reimbursed, whichever is more.
For additional information about COVID-19 related plan changes, please refer to the UT System Office of Employee Benefits’ COVID-19 Updates webpage. For additional information about making changes to your UT FLEX account, please refer to the hyperlinked instructions sheets or contact the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC).
* Based on the IRS’ current guidance, 9-month employees are not eligible to make changes at this time. The UT System Offices of Employee Benefits and General Counsel are continuing their review of the IRS’ guidance, and any future changes will be communicated to 9-month employees as soon as they are available.
UT Select and UT Connect Medical Plan Changes
On April 9, 2020, the UT System Office of Employee Benefits (OEB) announced a plan change for the UT Select and UT Connect medical plans available to employees, retirees, and non-employee fellows. These plans will now cover in-network, medically necessary services at 100% for testing and treatment of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This includes physician services, hospitalization, and emergency services.
For more information about UT medical plans, including premiums, coverage, and out-of-pocket costs for care, please review the following:
- UT Select Medical Plan – Active Employee
- UT Select Medical Plan – Retired Employee
- UT Connect ACO Medical Plan (available in Dallas Fort Worth area only)