About Us | Contact Us | Search HR
Human Resources

Work-related Injuries or Diseases > Workers' Compensation > HR Professional > HR Home

What to Do When You Notice Work-related Injuries or Diseases

Whenever you learn that an employee sustained and injury or occupational disease, you must work with the employee’s manager to do the following:

How to Help an Employee Arrange Medical Treatment

You should assist an employee in finding "reasonable and necessary" health care, which is defined as health care that cures or relieves the effects naturally resulting from a compensable injury, promotes recovery, and/or enhances the ability of the employee to return to or retain employment. Assist an employee in the following ways:

Changing Treating Doctors

If an employee wants to change treating doctors, the employee must complete a Request to Change Treating Doctors (DWC-53) form and get approval from the Division of Workers' Compensation before making the change. You should advise your employee to contact a DCW customer service representative for assistance with this process by calling 512-440-3513.

How Submit Info to the WCI Office

Submit all medical narratives, witness statements, evidence and invoices that your department receives to the WCI office at the following address:

101 E. 27th St.
Austin, TX 78712
Mail code: J5600
Phone: 512-471-5361
E-mail contact: Mark Steitle

You may need to submit some information to The University of Texas System WCI Office at the following address:

The University of Texas System, ORM - Workers' Compensation Office
220 W. 7th Street
Austin, TX 78701

How to Deal With Questionable Injuries

If you question the legitimacy of an employee's injury or have questions about the reporting process, you should contact the HR WCI manager at 512-471-5361.