Selective Service Registration Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is required to register with selective service?
Males age 18 through 25 who live in the United States are required to register for selective service. Exceptions to this rule are few but do include nonimmigrant aliens on student, visitor, tourist, or diplomatic visas. Note that all male employees within this age group are required to complete the university’s Selective Service Eligibility and Verification, even if they are not required to register.
Men who have not yet registered can go to the Selective Service System website to register or to verify their registration status.
2. Who must complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification Form?
Male employees who are between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of hire must complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification process. Men who are not 18 at the time of hire must complete the verification immediately upon turning 18. This requirement applies to all male employees of the university, including international employees, faculty, and student employees regardless of title, length or percent time of appointment, or source of funds.
3. Do international employees need to complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification Form?
Yes. Non-immigrant international employees are not required to register for selective service, but they are required to complete the form. Section 2 of the form provides a place for international employees to indicate if they are exempt due to their non-immigrant status.
4. Where do I get the UT Austin Selective Service Eligibility and Verification Form?
The employee should complete the form online.
5. Does the law apply to our casual employees? For example, someone who is hired to present a three hour lecture, but is paid through Payroll due to IRS rules?
Yes. State law requires all employees between the ages of 18 and 25 to provide their registration status, so these employees must complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification. In other words, the rule applies to employees who are not appointed through *DEFINE, such as flat rate workers and casual employees. The requirement does not apply to contractors or temporary workers provided by staffing services other than UTemps.
6. What are we looking for as verification of registration with Selective Service?
We need the employee’s selective service registration number. If the employee does not have his registration card to refer to, he can locate the number online in the Selective Service System.
7. What are we looking for as verification of exemption or exception?
The Selective Service Eligibility and Verification provides a place for international employees to indicate whether they exempt due to their non-immigrant status. Other exemptions are rare, but the employee can contact Employee Records at email@example.com if he qualifies for one of the exemptions listed on the form. Exemptions do not include student deferments or conscientious objectors.
8. If someone has not yet registered or has lost their verification of registration and we want to hire them, what do we do?
If someone has already registered and lost their verification, they can go to the online Selective Service System and print a copy. If someone has not yet registered, they must register for selective service before you can hire them. Online registration can be completed in the online Selective Service System.
9. When do we ask for verification of registration or exemption?
At the time of hire. The employee should complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification no later than the first day of employment.
10. Do employees who have breaks in service provide verification of registration or exemption after each break?
No. The employee does not need to provide the information again unless he has a break in service of more than 12 months.
11. If the best qualified applicant is eligible for registration, but hasn't yet registered, is there a grace period that would permit us to let him start work, with the understanding that they will register and provide verification of registration?
No. The employee must provide proof of registration or exemption on or before the first day of work. There is no grace period. Registration can be done online. If needed, the hiring department could allow the applicant to register on site at the university.
12. What does a UT Austin federal work-study student need to provide?
Federal work-study students do not need to complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification while they perform service as a work-study. Human Resources will verify the registration status of these employees with Student Financial Services.