This checklist is designed to help you through some of the important steps in planning for retirement. As you make the transition to retirement, we recommend that you do the following to avoid a gap in your benefits:
Attend TXClass PN400: Retiring from UT Austin
- This session provides an overview of retiree insurance enrollment, eligibility, premium billing and payment, Social Security, Medicare and coordination with UT insurance, returning to work after retirement, and getting started with TRS or ORP. Session is offered the 2nd Wednesday every month. Register online in TXCLASS (EID and password required).
UT Retiree Insurance Enrollment
- Your insurance will not automatically continue when you retire. You must complete and submit forms to Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) prior to your retirement date (submit 31 days prior is preferred). For eligibility and enrollment information, see Retiree Insurance Benefit Overview.
- Submit to the HRSC:
- Retiree Insurance Enrollment/Change Application
- Dependent Information Sheet
- Evidence of Eligibility Documents for Dependents
- Automatic Payment Request Authorization (optional)
- Copy of TRS 30, Application for Service Retirement (TRS participants only)
- ORP Declaration of Retirement (ORP participants only)
TRS Retirement (For TRS Members Only)
- Contact TRS (email) or by phone (512-542-6400), 6 months prior to retirement (preferred) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required forms.
ORP Retirement (For ORP Participants Only)
Contact your ORP provider for financial advisor 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.
Group Term Life Conversion
If converting coverage greater than $50,000 to Individual Whole Life, contact HRSC for an application no later than 31 days after your retirement date. Information and premiums at FDL-Life, or phone 866-628-2606.
Long Term Care
Contact CNA (website) or by phone at 888-825-0353 no later than 31 days after your retirement date to request a direct billing to your home address.
- Ensure your address and emergency contact information is current in the Employee Information System (UTDirect) or submit a Personal Information Update form to the HRSC.
- Complete the secure online beneficiary designation form for your UT Group Term Life Benefits. Log into My UT Benefits with your EID and password.
Medicare (available at age 65 or younger if due to a disability)
- Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at least 3 months before you need benefits to begin. Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B (website) or by phone at 800-772-1213. If over age 65 when you apply, request forms CMS-40B and CMS-L564. Take form CMS-L564 to HRSC to complete.
Social Security Benefits (available at age 62 or older)
Contact the SSA about 3 months before the date you want your benefits to start. Apply online at SSA, visit your local Social Security office or phone 800-772-1213.
UTSaver Program (prior or current participants only)
Participants of UTSaver TSA 403(b) and UTSaver DCP 457(b) should contact their provider or financial advisor at least 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.
- Cancel current UTSaver participation as of the 1st of the month following employment separation.
Sick Leave Pool Donation
Sick Leave balance is not paid to you. You may donate to Sick Leave Pool.