About Us | Contact Us | Search HR
Human Resources

Workers' Compensation > Insurance > Current Employees > HR Home

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Workers' Compensation Insurance (WCI) provides employees with medical benefits and, in some cases, weekly income payments, if you suffer a work related injury or occupational illness. For an injury or illness to be work related, it has to originate while you are engaged in the work your job requires you to do for the university.

You're entitled to medical aid, hospital services, and medication required at the time of injury, and afterwards, to treat the work related injury. In some cases, you may get financial benefits to make up for a portion of lost earnings and/or a permanent impairment from the injury.

WCI does not compensate you for damage to or loss of your personal property.

Reporting an Injury

If you sustain a work-related injury, you should:

These forms should be completed by you and given to your supervisor and/or department human resources (HR) contact within 24-48 hours of the injury. If immediate medical treatment is required, these forms may be submitted as soon as practicable after medical treatment has been provided.

Your supervisor will work with your department HR contact to initiate your workers’ compensation claim. Your department HR contact will forward your forms to HR-Leave Management.

Failure to report your injury/illness within 30 days from the date of injury may result in your claim being denied.


Medical Treatment

Minor Injuries:  The HealthPoint Occupational Health Program (OHP) is an on-campus clinic which can provide reasonable and necessary medical care for your work related injury.  Please call 512-471-4OHP (4647) for information or to schedule an appointment.

Serious Injuries:  For more serious injuries requiring sutures, x-rays, etc., you must seek treatment through the IMO Network.  (See Selecting a Network Doctor below.)

Life-Threatening Injuries:  For life-threatening injuries please call 911.  Once your situation has been stabilized, you must follow up with an IMO Network provider.  (See Selecting a Network Doctor below.)

After-Hours Treatment:  If advanced medical care is needed after hours, or if you live outside of the Austin area, you must select a healthcare provider from the IMO Network. Failure to select a provider from the network may result in you being financially responsible for your treatment services.

Out-of-area Treatment:  If you live outside the IMO Network service area, you must select an alternative medical provider that accepts workers’ compensation insurance.  This can be determined by calling the provider’s office.

Information about the certified IMO Network, including the covered service areas, medical pre-authorization requirements, and how to obtain treatment from a specialist is found in the IMO Med-Select Network Employee Handbook.


Selecting a Network Doctor for a Work Injury/Illness

If you need additional assistance in changing your treating doctor, partner with the UT System insurance adjuster assigned to your workers’ compensation claim.

Employees that Do Not Seek Medical Treatment

Returning to Work Post Injury

If you are released to return-to-work by your treating doctor, you are expected to communicate this with your supervisor and abide by the bona fide offer of employment agreement.

Injury Prevention

You can help ensure the safety and productivity of your employees by actively preventing injuries in the workplace. Working to prevent injuries will not only help the university reduce Workers' Compensation Insurance claims, but it will also make your employees feel more safe and secure in the workplace, and give them a sense of job satisfaction because you’re looking out for their best interests.

You should conduct safety inspections regularly and correct any unsafe conditions without delay. You may use the following resources to learn more about safety in the workplace: