Student Employee Orientation and Training
Welcome to the employment community at The University of Texas at Austin! The information here will direct you to some orientation and training opportunities to help you in your role as an employee of the university.
Your hiring department may also have orientation and training programs for new student employees, so check with your supervisor.
Orientation and Training for Graduate Student Employees
The Graduate School hosts a Graduate Student Orientation each fall. In addition, the Graduate School’s “Services & Resources” page provides graduate students a wealth of information and resources.
- Graduate Students Ethics Training gives graduate students an introduction to university policies relating to sexual harassment, human subjects research, animal research, and academic integrity.
- You should attend New Employee Orientation if you are a graduate student eligible for university insurance benefits.
- The International TA/AI English Certification Program provides services to assess the English language abilities of international TAs and AIs.
- The Graduate Student Development Program offers various programs to enhance the teaching skills of student employees.
- The Texas Career Engagement Office is the resource for all students to learn about jobs on campus, off- campus and after graduation. They also offer professional development help online and workshops.
Compliance and Safety Training
- Mandatory Compliance Training: All student employees are required to complete the basic compliance training within the first 30 days of employment and again each year This includes Introduction to Compliance, Title XI Basics, Equal Employment Opportunity – EEO, and Information Security Awareness. Other compliance training may be required, depending on the job and department. Check with your supervisor or University Compliance Services.
- Environmental Health and Safety Training: If you work in certain work environments, such as a laboratory, you may be required to take safety training. Check with your supervisor.
- Other compliance steps may be found on the New Student Employee checklist.
Student Employee Excellence Development (SEED) Program
UT Austin encourages professional development for all students employed by the university. The SEED Program provides student employees a chance to earn a Student Employee Excellence Certification by attending free training and workshops offered across campus. The program is designed to provide you with opportunities to enhance your skill set, knowledge base, and leadership potential so you can excel in the student workforce and in your future career. For more information, please visit the SEED website.