Resources for Student Employees
In addition to the Quick Links on this page, here are some additional resources to help you as an employee of the university.
- New Student Employee Checklist — steps to be taken once you’ve been hired.
- Hourly-paid student employees must enter time in order to be paid for completed work. Use these resources to learn more about Workday's Time Entry.
Other Campus Resources
- Student Guide to Work-Study — describes the federal work-study program and answers questions about how the program works.
- International Student and Scholar Services — administers programs to assist international students.
- Student Health Services and Insurance — information about student health insurance.
- Student OASI (FICA) Exemption — information about a tax exemption that may be available for student employees.
- Student Ombudsperson — describes services offered by the Office of the Student Ombuds.
- IRS Tax Information for Students — information about income taxation of student earnings.
- IRS Information on the Affordable Care Act — questions and answers about the individual shared responsibility rules for health insurance.
Resources for Departmental Staff
In addition to the Quick Links on this page, here are some additional resources to help address your questions about student employment.
- Supervisor's Checklist for Hiring a New Student Employee — steps to be taken from the time the hiring decision is made through the student employee’s first day of work.
- Overview of Enrollment Requirements for Student Job Titles (PDF) — summary of the number of hours required for a student to be eligible for employment.
- Summary of University Limits on Student Work hours (PDF) — overview of the number of hours per week a student employee may work.
- Workday Student Employment Manual
- Student Employment Dates, Spring/Summer 2019 (PDF) — timeline of important dates relating to student employment.
Please visit the Workday Student Employment Training webpage for Workday Instructional Guides, Decision Trees, sample checklists and acknowledgement forms as well as infomation on additional sporadic student employment.
Workday Processing - Preparing for Spring Semester
- When extending a Graduate Academic student’s job into the spring semester using the Change Job business process, please ensure 1/16/2019 is the effective date on the Change Job.
- When extending a Non-Academic or Undergraduate Academic student jobs, please always use the date following the employee's current end employment date when extending student jobs.
- Example: A current U0095 Undergraduate Research Assistant's end employment date is 12/31/2018. Department HR personnel should use 1/1/2019 as the effective date for the Change Job to extend the student's end employment date into the 2019 Spring Semester .
- The effective date of the Change Job is listed in the “Start Details” section and is directly under the When do you want this change to take effect? question.
- Please refer to the End Date Extension Guidance for more information.
Other Campus Resources
- Work-Study Policies — information from Office of Financial Aid for on-campus employers of students with federal work-study awards.
- Hire A Longhorn — information for employers about the various services Hire a Longhorn provides.
- International Student and Scholar Services — information for departments working with international students.
- Graduate Coordinator Network — valuable resources on all aspects of working with graduate student employees.