This checklist is designed to help you through some of the important steps in planning for retirement. As you make the transition to retirement, we recommend you do the following to avoid a gap in your benefits.
Attend "Retiring from UT Austin"
- This two-hour class provides an overview of retiree insurance enrollment, Social Security, Medicare and coordination with UT insurance, returning to work after retirement, and getting started with TRS or ORP. Sessions are offered the 2nd Wednesday of every other month (beginning January 2018) on the main UT campus and the 1st Friday of every other month (beginning December 2017) on the Pickle Research Campus as space is available. For more information and to register online, see UTLearn (EID and password required).
UT Retiree Insurance Enrollment
- Your insurance will not automatically continue when you retire. You must complete and submit the appropriate forms to the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) 31 days prior to your retirement date (preferred). For more information, see Retiree Insurance Benefit Overview.
- Submit to the HRSC:
Teacher Retirement System (TRS Members)
- Contact TRS 6 months prior to retirement (preferred) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required forms.
Optional Retirement Program (ORP Participants Only)
Contact your ORP provider or financial advisor 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.
Group Term Life Conversion
If converting coverage greater than $100,000 to Individual Whole Life, contact the HRSC for an application no later than 31 days after your retirement date. For more information, see Dearborn National or call (800) 538-0379.
- Ensure your address and emergency contact information is current in the Employee Information System (UTDirect) or submit a Personal Information Update Form (PDF) to the HRSC.
- Complete the secure online beneficiary designation form for your UT Group Term Life Benefits. Log into My UT Benefits with your EID and password.
Medicare (available at age 65, or younger if due to a disability)
- Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at least 3 months before you need benefits to begin. Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B online or by phone at (800) 772-1213. If over age 65, request forms CMS-40B and CMS-L564. Take form CMS-L564 to the HRSC to complete.
Social Security Benefits (available at age 62 or older)
Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) 3 months before the date you want your benefits to start. Apply online via the SSA. You can also visit your local SSA office or call (800) 772-1213.
UTSaver Program (current or prior participants)
Participants of UTSaver TSA 403(b) and UTSaver DCP 457(b) should contact their provider or financial advisor at least 3 months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.
- Cancel current UTSaver participation effective the 1st of the month following employment separation.
Sick Leave Pool Donation
Your Sick Leave balance is not paid to you upon separation. However, you can donate your unused Sick Leave to the Sick Leave Pool. Sick Leave can be donated up to 12 months after your retirement date.