Welcome to the University of Texas at Austin!
Please follow this step-by-step checklist to ensure the completion of all on-boarding items within your first month. Timely completion will ensure you are paid and receive employee benefits in a timely manner.
Graduate Student Academic Employees should use the New Student Employee Checklist.
New Employee Welcome and Orientation (NEWO) — Human Resources strongly recommends that all employees complete NEWO on the first day of employment.
Access the recorded New Employee Orientation:
- Go to UTLearn
- Click “Login to UTLearn” (upper left)
- Login using your UT EID and password
- In the search bar (top right corner) enter “NEWO”
- Select “PN 1000 - New Employee Welcome and Orientation (NEWO)”
- Launch the module to begin orientation.
ID Card and EID —You'll need to upgrade your UT Electronic Identification (EID) before you can access most online services for employees. This should be done prior to visiting the Human Resource Service Center. To upgrade your UT EID, obtain your UT ID Card, or find current information on the ID Center’s location and business hours, please visit the ID Center’s service page.
- Payroll Information — Complete Manage Payment Elections online through Workday. You will need an upgraded EID to complete this in Workday.
- Acceptable Use Policy – Acknowledge the Information Resources Acceptable Use and Security Policy Agreement.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) — You must complete this electronic form no later than your first work day. You will be required to present original documents from the List of Acceptable Documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Information from your documents will be submitted to the federal E-Verify system for verification. Please contact your hiring department if you have not been told where to bring your documents. An electronic device such as a mobile phone or tablet will be needed for DUO access.
- Criminal Background Check Request – You should have received an email requesting electronic authorization to conduct a background check. If you have not received the email or completed the background check request, please contact your hiring department.
- Acknowledge the Ethics Statement* — Read and acknowledge the Standards of Conduct and Political Activities. This is completed through your Onboarding tasks in Workday.
- UT System Worker’s Compensation Insurance Health Care Network Notification – Read and acknowledge the Worker’s Compensation Network Acknowledgement Form. This is completed through your Onboarding tasks in Workday.
- Health Insurance Marketplace Notice – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to provide this notice to all employees about the option to shop in the Marketplace (also known as the “exchange”). More information about ACA and UT Select is available on the OEB website.
- Selective Service Eligibility — If you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25, complete this Onboarding task through Workday. For more information, see the Selective Service Registration Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Conflicts of Interest Policy — Read the university policy (including Related Information within the policy) concerning conflicts of interest and outside activities. For additional information please visit the Provost Office's Conflict of Interest webpage.
- Outside Employment — Before an employee is allowed to accept outside employment, they must submit the appropriate documentation:
- All Staff (Exempt and Non-Exempt) will complete a form via the University of Texas System Outside Activity Portal.
- Faculty members and other principal investigators/researchers should now use UTRMS for submission of outside activity requests.
- Please see the Regents' Rules and Regulations, Section 30104 and the University's Handbook of Operating Procedures (Revised), 2-2220, 5-2011, and 7-1210 for additional information.
- Employee Information* — Complete your employee biographical information and your veteran status information online through your Workday onboarding tasks.
- Insurance Coverage — Review the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist for details about how to complete your enrollment. Please note that you cannot make elections prior to completing ALL onboarding items in Workday. If onboarding is completed prior to 5pm, the My UT Benefits enrollment portal will open the following day. If onboarding is completed after 5pm, there will be a one day delay. You must make your insurance elections online during your Initial Benefits Enrollment period, which is the first 31 calendar days of employment. If you do not make elections and you are a full-time employee, you will default to the Basic Coverage Package. If you are a part-time employee, you will forfeit insurance coverage if elections are not made.
- Compliance Training — Begin your compliance training. This training must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. For alternate methods of taking the training, call the compliance training coordinator at 512-232-7842.
- Read and acknowledge — the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Policies are completed through the Workday onboarding tasks.
- Supervisor Meeting — Talk with your supervisor about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period, and performance evaluation.
- Keys — Obtain a Key Request and Authorization form signed by the person in your department with key signature authority. The key signature authority should then email the Key Request and Authorization form to arrange the pickup of the requested keys.
- Parking Permit — Visit the Parking and Transportation website for information about parking on campus. If you don't plan to commute by car, check out alternative transportation options.
- Prior State Service (Including FERPA) — If you have worked for any other State of Texas agency or public university, print a Transfer of State Service (PDF) form from Workday and fax it to Human Resources. Read more about prior state service transfer.
- Timesheets — Complete your timesheets online in Workday using the Time & Absence Application. Talk to your supervisor, if you are unable to access your timesheet.
- Nonresident Aliens — Please be sure you have completed your GLACIER record. You should receive your login instructions within two weeks of beginning employment. Send the forms generated from GLACIER and the required immigration documents to Tax Services using this form. Any questions about Glacier can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.