Welcome to the University of Texas at Austin!
Please follow this step-by-step checklist to ensure the completion of all on-boarding items within your first month. Timely completion will ensure you are paid and receive employee benefits in a timely manner.
Graduate Student Academic Employees should use the New Student Employee Checklist.
New Employee Welcome and Orientation (NEWO) — Human Resources strongly recommends that all employees attend NEWO on the first day of employment. Due to the COVID-19 crisis the classroom sessions of NEWO are on hold. Access the recorded New Employee Orientation:
- Go to UTLearn
- Click “Login to UTLearn” (upper left)
- Login using your UT EID and password
- In the search bar (top right corner) enter “NEWO”
- Select “PN 1000 - New Employee Welcome and Orientation (NEWO)”
- Launch the module to begin orientation.
ID Card and EID —You'll need to upgrade your UT Electronic Identification (EID) before you can access most online services for employees. This should be done prior to visiting the Human Resource Service Center. To upgrade your UT EID, obtain your UT ID Card, or find current information on the ID Center’s location and business hours, please visit the ID Center’s service page.
- Payroll Information — Complete Manage Payment Elections online through Workday. You will need an upgraded EID to complete this in Workday.
- Acceptable Use Policy – Acknowledge the Information Resources Acceptable Use and Security Policy Agreement.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) — You must complete this electronic form no later than your first work day. You will be required to present original documents from the List of Acceptable Documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Information from your documents will be submitted to the federal E-Verify system for verification. Please contact your hiring department if you have not been told where to bring your documents. An electronic device such as a mobile phone or tablet will be needed for DUO access.
- Criminal Background Check Request – You should have received an email requesting electronic authorization to conduct a background check. If you have not received the email or completed the background check request, please contact your hiring department.
- Acknowledge the Ethics Statement* — Read and acknowledge the Standards of Conduct and Political Activities. This is completed through your Onboarding tasks in Workday.
- UT System Worker’s Compensation Insurance Health Care Network Notification – Read and acknowledge the Worker’s Compensation Network Acknowledgement Form. This is completed through your Onboarding tasks in Workday.
- Health Insurance Marketplace Notice – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to provide this notice to all employees about the option to shop in the Marketplace (also known as the “exchange”). More information about ACA and UT Select is available on the OEB website.
- Selective Service Eligibility — If you're a male between the ages of 18 and 25, complete the Selective Service Eligibility and Verification online. For more information, see the Selective Service Registration Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Conflicts of Interest Policy — Read the university policy (including Related Information within the policy) concerning conflicts of interest and outside activities. For additional information please visit the Provost Office's Conflict of Interest webpage.
- Outside Employment — If you are working for another employer, you must complete an outside employment form (PDF) and gain proper approval. Once approved the form should be uploaded to your Workday profile, under Personal in the Documents tab. If you are an exempt employee, prior approvals need to be completed through the portal: Outside Activity Portal 5-2011 If you are unsure about your status under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) check one of your individual time reports on the electronic timesheet system and look at your FLSA status.
- Employee Information* — Complete your employee biographical information and your veteran status information online through your Workday onboarding tasks.
- Insurance Coverage — Review the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Checklist for details about how to complete your enrollment. Please note that you cannot make elections prior to completing ALL onboarding items in Workday. If onboarding is completed prior to 5pm, the My UT Benefits enrollment portal will open the following day. If onboarding is completed after 5pm, there will be a one day delay. You must make your insurance elections online during your Initial Benefits Enrollment period, which is the first 31 calendar days of employment. If you do not make elections and you are a full-time employee, you will default to the Basic Coverage Package. If you are a part-time employee, you will forfeit insurance coverage if elections are not made.
- Compliance Training — Begin your compliance training. This training must be completed within your first 30 days of employment. For alternate methods of taking the training, call the compliance training coordinator at 512-232-7842.
- Read and acknowledge — the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Policies are completed through the Workday onboarding tasks.
- Supervisor Meeting — Talk with your supervisor about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period, and performance evaluation.
- Keys — Pick up your key(s) at the Locks and Keys office located in the Service Building. Remember to take the key request form given to you by your department and your ID card.
- Parking Permit — Visit the Parking and Transportation website for information about parking on campus. If you don't plan to commute by car, check out alternative transportation options.
- Prior State Service(Including FERPA) — If you have worked for any other State of Texas agency or public university, print a Transfer of State Service (PDF) form from Workday and fax it to Human Resources. Read more about prior state service transfer.
- Timesheets — Complete your timesheets online in Workday using the Time Application. Talk to your supervisor, if you are unable to access your timesheet.
- Nonresident Aliens — Please be sure you have completed your GLACIER record. You should receive your login instructions within two weeks of beginning employment. Send the forms generated from GLACIER and required immigration documents to Payroll Services.