Change of Status for Retirees

Making updates throughout the year is permissible for a qualified change of status event(s). If you experience a major "life event" or change in your personal or work life, your benefits may need to change as well.

You have 31 days from the date of a qualified change of status event to update your elections in My UT Benefits. If you do not make your eligible changes during the 31-day status change period, your changes cannot be made until the next Annual Enrollment in July, to be effective the following September 1. Please keep in mind that in order to complete your change of status request, you will be required to upload the following documents:

  • Documentation that supports your change of status (such as a court order or decree)
  • Proof of Relationship Documents that support any added dependents (such as a birth or marriage certificate)

The list below includes common examples of qualified Change of Status events:

  • marriage, divorce, annulment, or spouse’s death;
  • birth, adoption, medical child-support order, or dependent’s death;
  • significant change in residence if the change affects you or your dependents’ current plan eligibility;
  • change of job status affecting eligibility (e.g. for employees: from non-benefits eligible part-time to full-time, starting or ending employment, starting or returning from FMLA, or other)
  • change in dependent’s eligibility (e.g. reaching age 26, or gaining or losing eligibility for any other reason); or
  • significant change in coverage or cost of other benefit plans available to you and your family.
  • dependent(s) with a loss of insurance coverage under the Medicaid or CHIP program as a result of loss of eligibility of either the employee or the dependent; or
  • whose dependent becomes eligible for a premium assistance subsidy under Medicaid or CHIP