Insurance for Graduate Student Fellows

In 2011, the Texas Legislature adopted a law allowing graduate students receiving certain fellowships of $10,000 or more per year to be eligible to participate in UT's group health insurance plan (i.e., basic medical for the fellow and dependents, dental and/or vision insurance). Please note that there is no funding provided to pay the medical premium for the Graduate Student Fellow. The law just provides access to the group medical benefits plan.


To qualify for UT group insurance, you must hold one or more graduate student fellowships, awarded on a competitive basis, that either singly or in combination provide a stipend valued at $10,000 or more per year. Your eligibility will continue as long as you hold the fellowship(s) and remain in good standing with a degree granting program. Please visit the Graduate School website for more information regarding your fellowship.

Contact the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) to inquire if you are eligible for insurance. If the HRSC cannot establish your eligibility, you may be asked to provide documentation of your fellowship that includes the following information:

  • Your name
  • Name or type of fellowship
  • Yearly amount of fellowship
  • Begin date of fellowship
  • End date of fellowship

You must notify the Human Resource Service Center if your fellowship ends. Your insurance will terminate at the end of the month in which the fellowship ends.

If your fellowship is extended, notify the Human Resource Service Center of your extension and provide documentation of your new end date.

As a currently-registered UT student you have access to University Health Services (UHS) even if you don’t have health insurance. Read more online about eligibility to use the UHS.

You may be eligible for Student Insurance. More information is available online.

Insurance Coverage

You may enroll in any of the plans below.

You do not have to enroll in the medical plan in order to choose the vision or dental plans.

You may also enroll your eligible dependents in the medical, dental or vision plans. You are not eligible for any other plans offered to employees as part of the university’s group insurance program or the university’s retirement programs.


Submit the insurance enrollment paperwork to the Human Resource Service Center within 31 calendar days of beginning your fellowship:

Once you complete your initial insurance enrollment, it is only possible to change your enrollment if you experience a Change of Status Event or make a change during Annual Enrollment.

If you currently hold an eligible fellowship that began prior to September 1, 2011, and you are interested in enrolling in the insurance, please contact HRSC as soon as possible.

Premiums & Payment

To determine your monthly out-of-pocket costs for insurance premiums, please visit the Health Insurance Premiums webpage.

Payment for each month is due by the first of the month and may be made by check or money order payable to The University of Texas at Austin. Please include your UT EID on the check or money order. Failure to pay by the first of the month may result in cancellation of insurance coverage.

Submit your payment by one of the methods below.

Methods of Payment

Preferred Method Procedure
Online What I Owe [requires UT EID]
Monthly balance will appear once insurance enrollment forms are processed
U.S. Mail Payroll Services
ATTN: Graduate Student Fellowship Insurance
P. O. Box 7849
Austin, Texas 78713-7849
In Person Payroll Services
Main Building
Room 134
Lobby Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

International Graduate Students

Visit the International Office website for more information about insurance waivers. Please note, you can only waive the student insurance if you enroll in the UT employee group medical insurance.

Gaining Benefits Eligible Employment

If you gain benefits eligible employment, you may not have to continue to submit payments to continue your medical insurance coverage. You will need to take the following steps to ensure that you insurance continues without interruption:

  1. Submit the following insurance enrollment paperwork to the HRSC within 31 days of the start date of your benefits eligible employment:
  2. Submit a Beneficiary Designation Form directly to the insurance company for the term life and accidental death and dismemberment (ADD) insurance.

You can read more information about the plans on the Insurance page of the HR website. You can view informational videos about the plans as well.


Questions regarding insurance eligibility and enrollment should be directed to the Human Resource Service Center. View the Need Help? web page to learn how to most efficiently obtain service.

Questions regarding payment should be directed to Payroll Services.

Questions regarding your insurance coverage should be directed to the Insurance Providers.