If you experience a major life event or change in your work or personal life, your benefits may also need to change. You have 31 days from the date of a qualified change of status event to update your insurance elections in the My UT Benefits portal.
If you do not make your changes within this 31-day period, your changes cannot be made until the next Annual Enrollment period in July, to be effective the following September 1. In order to complete your change of status request, you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Documentation that supports your change of status (such as a court order, decree, or proof of loss of insurance)
- Proof of Relationship Documents that support any added dependents (such as a birth or marriage certificate)
The list below includes common examples of qualified Change of Status events:
- marriage, divorce, annulment, or spouse’s death;
- birth, adoption, medical child-support order, or dependent’s death;
- significant change in residence if the change affects you or your dependents’ current plan eligibility;
- change of job status affecting eligibility (e.g. for employees: from non-benefits eligible part-time to full-time, starting or ending employment, starting or returning from FMLA, or other)
- change in dependent’s eligibility (e.g. reaching age 26, or gaining or losing eligibility for any other reason); or
- significant change in coverage or cost of other benefit plans available to you and your family.
- dependent(s) with a loss of insurance coverage under the Medicaid or CHIP program as a result of loss of eligibility of either the employee or the dependent; or
- whose dependent becomes eligible for a premium assistance subsidy under Medicaid or CHIP
How to Submit a Change of Status Request:
- Log in to My UT Benefits
- Under the Personal Information tab, choose "Family Status Change" from the drop-down menu and enter the effective date
- Upload your supporting documentation and Proof of Relationship documents
- Enter your dependent's information when prompted
- Click "Request New Family Status Change"
- The Human Resources Service Center (HRSC) will review your documents and email you a confirmation once your request has been approved. Requests are typically approved within 72 hours. If your request is not approved or additional documentation is needed, you will be asked to contact the HRSC.
Updating Elections Following an Approved Change of Status Request:
- Log in to My UT Benefits
- If adding or removing a dependent, select the "Dependents" tab and make your selection
- Select the "Benefits Enrollment" tab
- Choose your coverage effective date from the drop-down menu
- Select your new coverage level(s) and submit your changes by clicking "Record My Elections"
- Review the "Benefits Summary" tab for accuracy
- Review the details of your confirmation email. Depending on the type of change made, the confirmation email may provide additional information regarding Evidence of Insurability (EOI) requirements
- Review your next Payslip on Workday to ensure your changes have been recorded. Contact the HRSC within 31 days if you have questions or issues
Having Issues with Submitting a Change of Status Request or Updating your Elections?
Contact the HRSC for assistance via telephone at (512) 471-4772 or email at HRSC@austin.utexas.edu