Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
As a University of Texas at Austin employee, you may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. PSLF is a federal program that forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.
To qualify for PSLF you must:
- be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (federal service includes U.S. military service);
- University of Texas at Austin is a qualifying employer
- work full-time for that agency or organization;
- have Direct Loans (or consolidate other federal student loans into a Direct Loan);
- repay your loans under an income-driven repayment plan*; and
- make 120 qualifying payments.
*Under the limited PSLF waiver mentioned above, loan payments made under a different repayment plan may qualify. Learn more here.
On Oct. 6, 2021, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) announced a temporary period during which borrowers may receive credit for payments that previously did not qualify for PSLF or TEPSLF.
- PSLF Limited Waiver Announcement
- This limited PSLF waiver only applies to student loan borrowers who have Direct Loans or consolidate into the Direct Loan Program by October 31, 2022
- PSLF Help Tool - use this tool to evaluate your eligibility for the program. You will be required to create an account at https://studentaid.gov/
- PSLF Program FAQs
- Employer Certification Form - complete Section 1: Borrower Information before submitting to the appropriate university or system office for employer certification of Sections 3 and 4. Certified forms will be returned to you and you will need to submit to FedLoan Servicing, the U.S. Department of Education’s federal loan servicer for the PSLF Program.
- HR Service Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: To take advantage of the temporary expanded loan forgiveness, it is important to complete the PSLF steps (such as consolidating loans) prior to October 31, 2022 with the federal government. This means you should submit your Employer Certification Form to the HR Service Center no later than October 25, 2022, to allow the HR Service Center sufficient time to complete your request and return it to you in advance of the federal deadline. Requests submitted after October 25th will be processed but may not be in time to meet the federal deadline.