Unpaid Time Off

Parental Time Off

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you may qualify for parental time off. For more information, please see the university's Parental Leave policy.

Parental time off provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off for the birth of a natural child or for the adoption or foster care placement of children under three years of age. This policy applies to any employee who's appointed to work at least 20 hours per week for a period of at least 4.5 continuous months. Time off granted is proportional to the appointment.

If you, or your department, have been notified that you do not qualify for FMLA, you may use parental time off. Employees are required to use all accrued and available paid time off, while taking parental time off. Any time off accrued while on parental time off may not be used until after the employee returns to work in a benefits eligible position. You can use sick time off for the period of incapacity (six weeks for vaginal delivery and eight weeks for c-section). For the rest of the 12 week period, other paid time off must be used, unless there is an extension of the period of incapacitation due to complications or illness of the child or mother.

If you become eligible for FMLA while using parental time off, you will be placed on FMLA for the remainder of the time off. The parental time off previously granted will be applied toward the 12 weeks of FMLA.  The combination of parental time off and FMLA shall not exceed 480 hours. If more than one parent is an employee of the university, parental time off and FMLA awards must be shared between both parents and shall not exceed 480 hours.

The university will continue to contribute its share of premiums for insurance while an employee is using available and appropriate paid time off. The university will discontinue its share of premiums anytime that an employee is on a Leave of Absence and using parental time off.

Leave of Absence

Eligible employees can request additional time off by requesting a Leave of Absence. It is the policy of the university to provide a Leave of Absence without pay for personal reasons, professional development and public service or other activities that reflect credit on the university and enhance an individual's ability to make subsequent contributions to the university. Interested employees must submit a Leave of Absence (PDF) form through department channels. For more information, please see the university's Leave of Absence policy.

Click here to learn more about insurance options while on a Leave of Absence.