You should continuously make an effort to manage your employees in a way that encourages them to perform to the best of their abilities, strive to improve and develop their skills, and collaborate well with their team members and coworkers.
You should take the following steps to manage the performance of your employees:
- Appropriately and effectively set expectations, monitor performance, provide feedback and document performance
- Complete timely and periodic performance appraisals with direct reports — learn more about conducting performance appraisals
- Follow through with feedback, coaching, training and development activities for individual growth and improved departmental performance
- Develop clearly defined and realistic short-term and long-term objectives
- Formulate strategies and plans to achieve objectives
- Establish priorities and time frames for implementation
- Delegate work appropriately and effectively to make efficient use of resources, and to develop the professional growth and skills of your direct reports
- Make yourself available to direct reports, peers, customers and your fellow managers
- Listen in order to understand people's needs and determine how best to meet those needs
- Take a leadership role in creating a productive, creative environment where people strive for quality of service, fostering commitment for achieving goals, and setting an example for others to follow
Get Help Managing Performance
You can take advantage of services designed to help you manage change, resolve conflict, complete performance management forms, understand policies, and much more. Contact Strategic Workforce Solutions at 512-475-7200 to request services to help you improve your performance management skills or get assistance handling specific workplace concerns.