Keeping Track of Service

Employees earn credit when they work for the university, The University of Texas System, and other State of Texas agencies and institutions of higher education. Use the following information to help your employees transfer prior state service and understand the different types of service credit they may be eligible for.

Transfer of Prior State Service Credit

The amount of prior state service credit your employees have affects vacation and longevity pay accruals, so it's very important to ensure each employee’s state service record is complete and correct. All State of Texas service, including student employment and part-time, non-benefits-eligible employment, should be documented in your employees' state service records in Workday.

How to Check State Service Records

You should encourage your new employees to review their state service record online through Workday. Employees can continue to track their state service credit balance. State service is reflected in the worker's View Profile of Workday from the Actions button navigate to Additional Data and select View All.   

You can check the current state service balance of your employees by submitting a written request to HRS, and the information will be returned by campus mail.

How to Confirm Prior State Service

In most cases, you should have your employees request confirmation of prior state service directly from each State of Texas institution where they were previously employed. They should give each employer a transfer of prior state service credit form (PDF) and have the employers return the completed form directly to Human Resources. If they have any questions about what previous employment counts toward their state service credit, you should refer them to the lists of University of Texas System Component Institutions and State of Texas Agencies.

Exceptions: Have your employees call Human Resource Services at 512-471-4772 to have Records Services contact the following agencies on your employees’ behalves to verify prior service:

  • Health and Human Services Commission
  • Department of Aging and Disability Services
  • Department of State Health Services
  • MHMR State Hospitals and Centers
  • Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
  • Department of Family and Protective Services

Transferring Retirement Benefits

State service credit determines vacation accrual rates and longevity pay, but it doesn't determine retirement benefits. If your employees have retirement benefits that they need to transfer, you should have them contact the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) at 512-542-6400, or 1-800-223-8778. If your employees' retirement benefits are managed through the Optional Retirement Program (ORP), you should have them contact ORP at 512-499-4616.

Note: TRS also calculates creditable service, sometimes called "service credit," to determine retirement benefits eligibility. TRS creditable service isn't calculated the same way as State of Texas service, so be careful not to confuse these TRS credits with your employees’ state service credits.

Understanding Service Credit

Employees earn different types of credit for their service when they work for The University of Texas at Austin and the State of Texas. They also earn service credit when they participate in the Teacher Retirement System or Optional Retirement Program. See the Service Comparison Table below to better understand how these different types of credit are calculated and learn about who is eligible for state service credit, service awards, and retirement service credit.

Service Comparison Table

Type of ServiceWho is EligibleWhat Service is EligibleCalculation MethodInformation ContactPurpose
State ServiceAll employees, including faculty, staff and student employees regardless of the percent time appointed.Includes service with all Texas state agencies and institutions of higher education.Actual months and days appointed.HRSC, Employee Records Services

Determines annual leave accrual, refer to Annual Leave Policy.

Determines rate of longevity pay, refer to Longevity Pay Policy.
Service AwardsClassified and Administrative and Professional (A&P) staff appointed at least 20 hours per week in an eligible position. Current Faculty members who hold an active staff job title of at least 20 hours or more per week and have accumulated at least 10 years of staff service time.Service with any University of Texas component prior to 9-1-01 is included. Only University of Texas at Austin service is included if earned 9-1-01 or later. Must be currently assigned at 50% time or more in an eligible title, or have retired after May 31 of the previous year. All service time is counted for Faculty members with an active staff assignment of at least 20 hours per week and at least 10 years of staff service.One month of service is given for each month or fraction of a month of an active appointment in an eligible title. Eligible service is computed through May 31 of the award year.Staff AwardsUniversity-wide recognition through the annual Service Awards Program, refer to Employee Length of Service Recognition.
Retirement ServiceBenefits eligible employees.Only service in a benefit eligible position for which a contribution to a retirement system was made. Contact the specific retirement system for details.Dependent upon participation in Teacher Retirement System or Optional Retirement Program.Teacher Retirement System of Texas

Optional Retirement Program

Access to retirement programs available through the Teacher Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program.

Retiree health care for employee and eligible dependents.