Outside Employment (For Managers)

What will you do when an employee asks if it’s okay to get a second job on top of working at the university? Your answer to this question will depend on whether or not the second job conflicts with your employee’s work at the university. Use the following information to determine if outside employment is appropriate in your employee’s situation and, if so, what process should be followed.

Outside Employment Defined

Outside employment is any activity for pay performed in addition to the official responsibilities of a full-time employee. Some examples of outside employment activities include consulting, advising, testing or assaying, performing analyses or examinations, practicing one's profession, or similar work. Some volunteer activities may also be considered outside employment.

When Outside Employment is Allowed

Your employees may accept outside employment as long as their outside employment and volunteer activities won’t create a conflict of interest or the appearance of one. These activities must also not interfere with your employees’ full and proper performance of their university employment duties.

Before an employee is allowed to accept outside employment, they must complete the appropriate documentation. Employees who are in a position classified as Exempt will complete a form via the University of Texas System Outside Activity Portal. Employees who are in Non-Exempt positions and who are authorized to execute or award contracts or other financial transactions on behalf of the University also complete a form via the Outside Activity Portal. Non-Exempt employees without these financial job duties must complete an outside employment form (PDF) and gain proper approval. For faculty and research staff, they must complete the appropriate form via the Outside Activity Portal and gain proper approval before the outside employment begins. More information on HOP 5-2011 can be found on the Provost’s website.

How to Approve Outside Employment

If your employee wants to seek outside employment, tell him or her to complete and sign the appropriate form, being sure to describe the general nature of the work to be performed on the form. You should then review the form and determine whether or not the outside employment situation meets your approval—if you have concerns about whether or not to approve, contact your Strategic Workforce Solutions representative at 512-475-7200.