New Employee Welcome and Orientation, hosted by Human Resources (HR), provides your new employees with a comprehensive introduction to employment and benefits at The University of Texas at Austin. We encourage you to assist your new employees with the New Employee Checklist.
Recorded NEWO Session
Due to the COVID-19 crisis the classroom sessions of NEWO are on hold. Direct your new employees to the recorded New Employee Orientation:
- Go to UTLearn
- Click “Login to UTLearn” (upper left)
- Login using your UT EID and password
- In the search bar (top right corner) enter “NEWO”
- Select “PN 1000 - New Employee Welcome and Orientation (NEWO)”
- The link in the first sentence will open the NEWO session video in Adobe Connect.
- Finalize your new employee's assignment
- In order for your new employees to fully benefit from the New Employee Welcome and Orientation session, please verify that their assignment is in “Active” status.
- In order to remain compliant with the federal law, the I-9 form must be completed within the first 3 days of employment. If the new employee does not attend orientation during the first 3 days, please complete the I-9 in your office.
- The employee must upgrade their UT EID to High Assurance, this is granted by the ID Center. The ID Center is still available remotely for EID/High Assurance upgrades and other transactions from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or onsite at the Flawn Academic Center (FAC 30) Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9 am. - 1 p.m. The best method to contact the ID Center is by email or by phone at 512-475-9400.
- The employee must have access to a mobile device with DUO installed prior to arriving at the Human Resource Service Center.
- Remind your new employees to set up an appointment with the Human Resource Service Center and bring the following items
- Identity and employment eligibility documents to complete the electronic I-9.
- Electronic device such as a mobile phone or tablet for DUO access.
- Information about family members to be included in insurance coverage (spouse/dependents), including names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth should be entered online when enrolling through My UT Benefits.
- Beneficiary information, including name, address, Social Security number, and date of birth should be entered online when enrolling through My UT Benefits.
- Their job title FLSA status, exempt or non-exempt.
HR is fully operational in a remote status; call (512) 471-4772, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, the HR Service Center is providing on-campus assistance (UTA, 1st floor lobby) by scheduled appointment only, to conduct business that cannot be performed remotely, e.g. notary service, I-9 employment identity verification, etc. Social distancing protocols are in place. When you are coming into the office for an in-person appointment safety is our top priority for both you and our staff therefore, you must wear a face covering while attending your appointment per the Austin Public Health Authority guidelines.
Guidelines for Scheduling an Appointment with the HRSC
The HRSC is accepting appointments via two methods:
Phone: By calling 512-471-4772 and leaving a detailed message with your name, EID and a contact telephone number on our voicemail. Our voicemails are being checked every 30 minutes from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Emailing: In the subject line of your email type “Request for an Appointment”. In the body of your email please include a contact phone number and briefly state why you are requesting an appointment (i.e. notary services, turning in retirement or benefits paperwork etc.)
A staff member will return your call to schedule an appointment to come in on Mondays or Thursdays between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. We are located in the UTA Building located at 1616 Guadalupe Street, first floor, suite 1.408, past the elevators.
Appointments for notary services/I-9 verifications are limited to 15 minutes and appointments for benefit changes/enrollment are limited to 20 minutes. We are not accepting walkins.