Non-employee, Research Affiliate - Postdoctoral Fellows in job code A010 have a few options when it comes to healthcare coverage for themselves and their eligible dependents.
Student Health Insurance Plan - AcademicBlue
The first option is to enroll in the medical, dental, and vision plans offered through the AcademicBlue Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). All Research Affiliate - Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible to enroll in:
- The AcademicBlue SHIP Medical plan underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas provides comparable benefits to the university's employee medical plan, at a more fellow friendly price.
- If you enroll in AcademicBlue SHIP, you may also choose to enroll in the BlueCare Dental plan. BlueCare covers the most used preventive services, and by using its large network of participating dentists, you will save money on exams, cleanings, fillings, and crowns. For more information about the cost of BlueCare Dental, please visit the AcademicBlue SHIP Enroll/Cost webpage.
- Regardless of whether you enroll in the Academic Blue Medical plan, you may purchase an Individual Vision Care Plan offered through VSP. VSP covers eyewear, contacts, and eyes exams at an affordable price from a large network of vision care providers. For more information, including coverage and cost, please visit the VSP Individual Vision Care Plan webpage.
To enroll in the student health insurance plans, please visit the AcademicBlue SHIP Enrollment webpage, and complete your enrollment by the enrollment deadline listed on the site. For additional information or questions, please refer to the AcademicBlue SHIP website or contact AcademicBlue SHIP Customer Service.
Research Affiliate - Postdoctoral Fellows Currently Enrolled in Employee Insurance Plans
If you are currently enrolled in any of the university's employee insurance plans, and you opt to enroll in AcademicBlue SHIP instead, you must take action to terminate your current coverage. For additional information, please refer to our Change of Status webpage.
Employee Health Insurance Plan - UT Select
The second option is to enroll in the university's medical, dental, and vision plans. To enroll in the employee plans, a Research Affiliate - Postdoctoral Fellow must be serving a postdoctoral fellowship with the sponsorship of a UT Austin faculty member.
- UT Select Medical administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas provides access to a broad Participating Provider Option (PPO) network of healthcare professionals. Since Research Affiliate - Postdoctoral Fellows are not employees and do not receive premium sharing to offset the cost of their medical insurance, however, the cost of this plan may be prohibitively expensive, when compared to the cost of Academic Blue.
- Regardless of which medical plan you enroll in, or whether you enroll in one at all, you may choose to enroll in any one of the university's three dental plans administered by Delta Dental: UT Select Dental, UT Select Dental Plus, or DeltaCare USA. For more information about UT Select and DeltaCare USA dental coverage and cost, please visit our Dental - Active Employee webpage.
- In lieu of purchasing an Individual Vision Care Plan, you may choose to enroll in one of the university's vision insurance plans: Superior Vision or Superior Vision Plus. Both plans offer great benefits at an affordable price, and feature a large network of vision care providers. For additional information about Superior Vision plan coverage and cost, please visit our Vision - Active Employee webpage.
To enroll in the university's employee insurance plans, you must submit a completed Graduate Student Fellow Insurance Enrollment/Change Application, any required Proof of Relationship Documents, and an Affiliated Postdoctoral Fellow Sponsoring Faculty Form to the Human Resources Service Center (HRSC) within 31 days of the start of your fellowship. If the HRSC is unable to verify your eligibility for coverage, you may be asked to provide documentation that shows your name, the name or type of your fellowship, and your fellowship's begin and end dates.
Changes to Employment or Family Status
Your enrollment in the university's employee insurance plans will continue for the duration of your fellowship. If there are any changes to the duration of your fellowship, you must contact the HRSC within 31 days of the date the changes were made. If your fellowship is extended, you must include proof in your message to the HRSC. If your fellowship ends early, your insurance will terminate at the end of the month in which your fellowship ends.
If you experience a qualified change of status event (marriage, birth, divorce, etc.), and you wish to make changes to your insurance, you must submit a Graduate Student Fellow Enrollment/Change application to the HRSC within 31 days of the event. If you fail to do so, your change of status will be denied.
If you enroll in any of the university's employee insurance plans, the you must pay any premiums due by the first of each month. Failure to pay by the first of the month may result in cancellation of your insurance coverage. The following table explains your payment options:
|What I Owe [requires UT EID]
Monthly balance will appear once insurance enrollment forms are processed
ATTN: Graduate Student Fellowship Insurance
P. O. Box 7849
Austin, Texas 78713-7849
Lobby Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
For questions about employee insurance eligibility and enrollment, please contact the Human Resource Service Center email@example.com.
For questions about employee insurance premium payment, please contact Payroll Services firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about your specific insurance coverage, please contact the perspective Insurance Provider.
Department Administrative Process
Resources regarding the creation of University Affiliate Positions can be found in ServiceNow AskUs. You may also contact the Workday Help Desk via email at email@example.com (Tip: Put Workday in the subject line of your email), or by phone at (512) 471-8802.