A Research Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellow (Job Code A010) assigned with UT Austin may be eligible to enroll in certain insurance plans that are part of the university’s group insurance program.
NOTE: Individuals who are employed by the university as Postdoctoral Fellows (Job Code 0712) must meet the same eligibility criteria as other eligible employees.
To qualify for insurance as a Research Affiliate – Postdoctoral (Job Code A010), you must be serving a postdoctoral fellowship with the sponsorship of a UT Austin faculty member. Your eligibility for certain insurance benefits will continue as long as you are serving the fellowship and maintain sponsorship of a faculty member.
You must notify the Human Resource Service Center if your fellowship or faculty sponsorship ends.Your insurance will terminate at the end of the month in which the fellowship or sponsorship ends.
If your fellowship and sponsorship is extended, notify the Human Resource Service Center of your extension and provide documentation of your new end date.
You may enroll in the plans below.
- Medical (including $20,000 term life and $20,000 accidental death and dismemberment insurance for the fellow only)
You may also enroll your eligible dependents in the medical, dental or vision plans. You are not eligible for any other plans offered to employees as part of the university’s group insurance program or the university’s retirement programs.
Submit the following paperwork to the Human Resource Service Center within 31 calendar days of beginning your fellowship:
- Copy of postdoctoral fellowship paperwork that clearly and specifically indicates the name of the fellow, funding source, begin date and end date.
- Affiliated Postdoctoral Fellow – Sponsoring Faculty Form
- Insurance Enrollment / Change Application
- Proof of Relationship Documents, if adding dependents
Submit a Beneficiary Designation Form directly to the insurance company for the term life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance.
To determine your monthly out-of-pocket costs for insurance premiums, please visit the Health Insurance Premiums webpage.
If you elect to maintain insurance during your affiliated postdoctoral fellowship, the bills are generated through the What I Owe website. Payment for each month is due by the first of the month. The preferred method of payment is to use the What I Owe online payment system. Payment may also be made by check or money order payable to The University of Texas at Austin. Please include your UT EID on the check or money order. Failure to pay by the first of the month may result in cancellation of insurance coverage.
*Once a bill has appeared in the What I Owe page, you may pay it in the following ways*
- Pay on the Web using your credit card or electronic file transfers. Go to the What I Owe page and log in with your UT EID and password. *Only MasterCard, Discover and AMEX are accepted. Credit card payments are not accepted by phone. Must include member EID.
Check or Money Order
- Make payments payable to: The University of Texas at Austin
- Include you UT EID (located on the insurance bill next to your name)
- Write "Employee Insurance" on the check or money order
- Mail payments to: The University of Texas at Austin, P.O. Box 13177, Austin, TX 78711
For billing or payment questions, contact Payroll Services at 512-471-5271 or go to the Payroll Services website. Lobby hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Questions regarding insurance eligibility and enrollment should be directed to the Human Resource Service Center.
- Questions regarding payment should be directed to Payroll Services.
Department Administrative Process
To facilitate insurance enrollment:
- Create a Research Affiliate – Postdoctoral (Job Code A010) position in HRMS with the Treat Like Employee (0% appointment) privilege code, if one does not already exist.
- Assign the non-employee postdoctoral fellow as the incumbent for the duration of the fellowship and sponsorship.
Questions regarding the creation of University Affiliate Positions should be directed to the HRMS Support Team. For questions regarding assignments, email the Office of the Vice President for Research or call 512-471-2877.