A Research Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellow may be eligible to enroll in certain insurance plans that are part of the university’s group insurance program.
NOTE: Individuals who are employed by the university as Postdoctoral Fellows must meet the same eligibility criteria as other eligible employees.
To qualify for insurance as a Research Affiliate Postdoctoral Fellow, you must be serving a postdoctoral fellowship with the sponsorship of a UT Austin faculty member. Your eligibility for certain insurance benefits will continue as long as you are serving the fellowship and maintain sponsorship of a faculty member.
You must notify the Human Resource Service Center if your fellowship or faculty sponsorship ends. Your insurance will terminate at the end of the month in which the fellowship or sponsorship ends.
You may enroll in the plans below.
- Medical (includes prescription drug coverage and $40,000 in group term life (GTL) and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance)
You may also enroll your eligible dependents in the medical, dental or vision plans. You are not eligible for any other plans offered to employees as part of the university’s group insurance program or the university’s retirement programs.
Submit the following paperwork to the Human Resource Service Center within 31 calendar days of beginning your fellowship:
- Copy of postdoctoral fellowship paperwork that clearly and specifically indicates the name of the fellow, funding source, begin date and end date.
- Affiliated Postdoctoral Fellow – Sponsoring Faculty Form
- Graduate Student Fellows Insurance Enrollment / Change Application
- Proof of Relationship Documents, if adding dependents
UT Austin does not provide premium sharing, thus insurance preiums are the sole responsibility of the Affiliated Postdoctoral Fellow. To determine your monthly out-of-pocket costs for insurance premiums, please visit the Health Insurance Premiums webpage.
If you elect insurance during your affiliated postdoctoral fellowship, the bills are generated through the What I Owe website. Payment for each month is due by the first of the month. The preferred method of payment is to use the What I Owe online payment system. Payment may also be made by check or money order payable to The University of Texas at Austin. Please include your UT EID on the check or money order. Failure to pay by the first of the month may result in cancellation of insurance coverage.
*Once a bill has appeared in the What I Owe page, you may pay it in the following ways*
- Pay on the Web using your credit card or electronic file transfers. Go to the What I Owe page and log in with your UT EID and password. *Only MasterCard, Discover and AMEX are accepted. Credit card payments are not accepted by phone. Must include member EID.
Check or Money Order
- Make payments payable to: The University of Texas at Austin
- Include you UT EID (located on the insurance bill next to your name)
- Write "Employee Insurance" on the check or money order
- Mail payments to: The University of Texas at Austin, P.O. Box 13177, Austin, TX 78711
For billing or payment questions, contact Payroll Services at 512-471-5271 or go to the Payroll Services website. Lobby hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Questions regarding insurance eligibility and enrollment should be directed to the Human Resource Service Center.
- Questions regarding payment should be directed to Payroll Services.
Department Administrative Process
Resources regarding the creation of University Affiliate Positions can be found on the Preparing for Workday webpage. You may also contact the Workday Help Desk via email at email@example.com (Tip: Put Workday in the subject line of your email) or by phone at (512) 471-8802